Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Shifting Decks

**line breaks are screwed up in this format... i just got to l.a. a few hours ago though and am extremely tired after two long days of 12+ hours of driving.**


Shifting Decks



Leaving is many parts
meeting new people and the feeling
of time lost and “Don’t hug me for more than ten seconds” because I’ll cry
(and in front of all these people at that)
and then also feeling “thanks for making me cry” thanks so
much for that for allowing me to spill myself onto your shoulder

food on the grill during the evening affair and then hummingbirds
at my Mom’s house
but wait, that’s skipping parts
steps, but that’s leaving
how places can be very similar and how one of my first poems was
“When the Hummingbird’s Hum Ceases to Hum” about death
in a sort of Keatsian manner, how funny that is

deck conversations, realizing what months
can be
and airing jeans on the line and snapping photos of them to get
a laugh
and cats that seem immortal

talking about new friends to old friends
and discovering role models

poems coming together on the road, one of them was
title “I Was Almost Crying Forty Miles Ago and Pulled Off the Road to Write This Especially for Earl and Phill”
body “I
love
you.”
but we all know that’s not a poem
and finding connections before departures realizing missed
opportunities
it’s casting lines out and breathing
camping overnight

feeling joy for buying baby food
for my little nephew
it’s “I’ll see you again”s that are both sincere and not

and a stick-shift in my hand
and great smells
seen but hidden by goodbye cigarettes
a walk in the woods I grew up in
showing my dad a poem

and it’s going to keep happening and it’s coming true and yes, it could be.

And if nothing else, it’s lots of hugs and taking chances,

and kissing vulnerability on the cheek,
backing away with a little wink.

2 comments:

paulinnium said...

this is amazing jared.
reading it made me remember how i felt when i left.

so i many "ill see you again"s where only a few of them will actually come true.

looking back, it seems like there are only the good things that happened and the bad just keep fading away. when i close my eyes, i still see you smiling at me as i order my coffee at e.r.c. or laughing at me when i say something unfunny while we're eating fried chicken on the couch at phill's place or you holding me and telling me "everything will be ok" when i got attacked that night.

and thinking back on those times and more make me smile and cry and love my time back in madison and i love the people in it so much i could burst.

i hope to see you again sometime... and to perhaps continue on a burgeoning friendship that means a lot to me.

good luck in your new life, jared. take all the new chances you can, and i will try my best to do the same. and when we see each other again, we'll have so many things to share.

this long ass comment was probably more for me than it was for you. i hope you'll indulge me this one selfishness.

i love this poem. thank you so much for posting it.

i miss you. and i mean it.

your friend,
paulina

phill said...

thank you jared.