Wednesday, June 6, 2007

City Lights

I'm in L.A. taking my time taking time away writing/chilling/eating/biking(yes, biking)/having fun.

**From Walt Whitman's "Poets to Come"

"Poets to come...

I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping,
turns a casual look upon you and then averts his face,
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you."


**Journal excerpts:

The trash bin of our lives one piece nudges against another, behind beneath blinds twisted lit firecrackers July rain nudging in the dim seclusion grounded by the floor grounded by exchanged fingernails--good trade--cut that shit off and walk more lightly safe inside... This succession so pressed for time... Bruises feel the berry on my hip laughing pavement and I felt it a little too closely rubbing in and absorbing always more than I was meant to... Need a reference point for this? Fuck you... Vanity... Cheers to the whatifs and we'll or you'll neverknows that strips me em down and holds me there dangling again yeah dangling and suspended never get reused to that feeling cause that's the main part of the shake vs. exquisite rendezvous of the bare riverfront--ha just jumping... I'm of the firm belief that all would be extremely chill if we'd pull off the road and share our points I'm not going to go so far as to say you'd laugh, but maybe would turn your attention more to the direction of the weather.


**Went to a poetry slam last night and wanted to but didn't read this poem:

"City Lights"


There we were, pastless and proofless just taking it easily.
Confidence doesn't tie us
though. It's forgetting
our pasts and shaking
hands.

So that when I was brushed
up on late one
night, city lights,
because of something
I said, because
unfortunately, I
reacted,
my industrialized glance
was met with hushes
and a blur
and I was too busy
checking my breath
to check for stab
wounds.

By the time
I get to the end
of the street
I'm so damn full
of holes
and impressions
that I need a smoke
break.
And there it goes
leaking
out of me,
thanks to you,
because I'm so full
of holes.

2 comments: